Back at it...

IMG_6403.jpg

Hey Guys! It's been awhile—my temporary blogging break accidentally turned into three-and-a-half years. I used my time well, however and have added a new baby—who will be three in June—and a puppy. My oldest is in third grade, and I'm homeschooling my kindergartner. Building babies and raising children is a lot more work than flipping furniture, so if one or the other had to go, I guess it should be the furniture. But anyway, three years later and I'm still here, same husband, same house, same me (I think). And the puppy—meet Timber, a brown, curly, miniature poodle who cares far more about digging in the trash than learning how to do his business outside.

But anyway, back to this space... I've recently been updating and consolidating my design portfolio, instagram and blog onto one new site so it's a lot easier to navigate than before. Not sure how much I'll be blogging (do people even read blogs anymore?) but you might see a post now and then.

Today I'm sharing a little furniture flip that I completed last year. I've struggled for awhile with finding the right bookshelf for our room. The space demanded that it be taller than the bathtub access panel on the wall, fairly shallow (<11"), less than 36" wide, have some hidden storage, and be pretty. Not too hard, right? You wouldn't think so, but I've found that alot of the reasonably priced bookshelves on the market are either too deep, too narrow,  too wide, or too expensive. I've gone through a couple of options over the last few years, but I didn't like the look of the cheap MDF version I got off craigslist (not shown), and the gray DIY version (below) was too wobbly and didn't have enough space for our books. It also had some weird wooden protrusions that made it difficult to use. Sometimes thrift store rehabs work, sometimes they don't...  

IMG_0460.JPG
IMG_0463.JPG

My boys hate going thrift shopping—or actually doing errands of any kind—so my secondhand runs have been limited lately. But on one of these runs, I found a bedraggled red shelf that needed some love. I dragged it home and started to work my magic. The structure was solid, but the shelves were not. I ended up buying pine boards at Home Depot and having them cut them down for me to replace the shelves. I didn't get any actual before pics, but here it is once I had filled in all the previous shelf peg holes and screwed in one of the new shelves. 

IMG_8649.jpg
IMG_8642.jpg

I wanted to make a storage area in the bottom, so I measured and pre-drilled holes in the bottom for some hidden hinges. I wanted to make sure it all lined up before I went to the trouble of priming and painting. I ordered some tapered legs on amazon and primed and painted them along with everything else. I like getting my primer tinted in order to limit the number of paint coats needed—doesn't have to be the exact shade, just similar. Kilz oil-based primer is my favorite for these sorts of projects as the adhesion and coverage is great. It does smell though, so outside is best...

IMG_8650.jpg
IMG_8653.jpg
IMG_8654.jpg

After painting, I attached the legs, the hidden hinges and magnetic clasp for the secret cubby. It took me awhile to settle on hardware, but these faux leather pulls at Target seemed to fit, and the price was right. I'm really happy with how it turned out—I love the scale of the piece and the fact that I can store random things in the hidden compartment. It also perfectly hides the bathtub access panel behind. 

CC0_7131.jpg
IMG_6420.jpg
IMG_6405.jpg
IMG_6410.jpg
CC0_7135.jpg
Joy LewisComment