Source List & Budget
I was pretty excited to have my kitchen featured on Design*Sponge last week. If you are dropping by because of the post, I just want to say hi, and thanks for visiting. And if you are dropping by for any other reason—welcome to you as well. This is a very new blog, so it is fun to have visitors :)
I think best thing about the whole ordeal with D*S might have been the fact that it forced me to get my source list and budget breakdown together in a hurry. I have been meaning to do it for a number of weeks, but this was a kick in the pants. A note on the budget—it's a pretty accurate estimate. There was some overlap with other categories from our monthly budget, and I lost track of a few receipts, but it should be pretty close.
And finally—as an incentive to get through this long, boring post—if you keep reading to the end of the post, I will show you a really weird photo. How's that for motivation?
KITCHEN & DINING AREA SOURCE LIST
Countertop & Stainless Steel Undermount Sink
- Allen + Roth Solid Surface in White from Lowe's
Tile, Supplies & Installation
- Imperial Bianco Gloss White 3" x 6" Subway Tile from The Tile Shop
- Grout (custom mix of Whisper Gray & White) & additive from The Tile Shop
- Bosch Evolution 500 Series. Open box clearance at a local Best Buy
- Waste King 3300 from Amazon.com
Electrical Work & Materials
- Professional installation of two pendant kits over peninsula, a light over sink, two recessed lights in kitchen, and re-positioning chandelier over dining table, with dimmer. Also replacement of all outlets in dining room and kitchen. I hung the actual fixtures myself. Work done by Wall's Electrical—highly rated on Angie's List
Light Fixtures & Supplies
- 5-Jar Chandelier from West Elm
- 3-Jar Chandelier from West Elm (I cut this one apart and hung the jars as single pendants over the peninsula, using West Elm's conversion kits. I spray painted the kits to match the fixtures with some Rustoleum dark metallic spray paint from Walmart)
- 12" pine shelves from Home Depot, cut to size
- White brackets from Home Depot
- Drywall Strap Toggle Anchors
Hardware & Hinges
- Satin nickel utility pulls from Home Depot $3/each
- Satin nickel self-closing hinges from Ace Hardware $6/each
Paint, Primer & Supplies
- Walls: Sherwin Williams Emerald in Satin, un-tinted. Dining room wall, "Repose Gray"
- Upper Cabinets: Benjamin Moore Advance in Satin, "Super White"
- Lower Cabinets: Benjamin Moore Advance in Satin, matched to Martha Stewart "Seal"
- Cabinet Primer: Kilz oil-based for bases, Kilz low-odor spray primer & Zinsser low-odor spray primer for doors.
- Supplies: 3/8" roller and 3-inch brushes for walls, various foam rollers & brushes for cabinets. Frog tape, drop cloths, tack cloth, de-greaser, sandpaper of various grit, scrapers, etc.
Front Panel for Peninsula
- Piece of composite outdoor siding from Home Depot, cut to size
Decor & Storage
- Mirror was a thrift store find that came as a set with a mid-century dresser
- Chalkboard made from plywood and chalkboard spray paint
- Metal towel basket on counter from Target
- Ikea Aina Gray Linen Curtains
- IKEA Numerar Butcherblock in Beech, 73 x 39
- General Finishes water-based stain in "Pecan" from my local Woodcraft store
- General Finishes EnduroVar Polyurethane from my local Woodcraft store
- Raw iron hairpin legs from Hairpinlegs.com
- Rustoleum Clear Coat for sealing hairpin legs from Walmart
Dining Chairs & Stools
- Tabouret Bistro Steel Side Chairs from overstock.com (set of 2)
- Bend Dining Chairs and cushions from West Elm (set of 2)
- Tabouret 24-inch Lemon Metal Counter Stools from overstock.com (set of 2)
KITCHEN & DINING BUDGET BREAKDOWN
- Countertop & Stainless Steel Undermount Sink $1550
- Faucet $210
- Tile & Supplies (40 sq. ft.) $235
- Professional installation & Drywall repair (40 sq. ft.) $795
- Dishwasher & Installation $575
- Garbage Disposal $120
- Electrical Work & Materials $975
- Light Fixtures & Supplies $350 West Elm had a 20% off sale, and I also used $150 worth of credit card points, so I saved a ton off of the regular price.
- Open Shelving $70
- Hardware & Hinges $143
- Paint, Primer & Supplies $375
- Front Panel for Peninsula $30
- Decor & Storage $160 This includes lots of cabinet organization stuff, so it isn't all stuff you can see in the photos...
- Miscellaneous Supplies $120
- DIY Dining Table, 6 Chairs, & 4 Stools $250 We sold our previous dining set for $530, and I used $200 worth of gift cards toward it as well, so technically, all of the furniture would have been $980.
GRAND TOTAL $5958
As promised, here is the weird photo. Strange, huh? It is one of the few tomatoes I saved from the crazy squirrels in my garden. I can see why they left it for me. I kind of like it, though, tumor and all...